Technology and Society Conference 2021 (#TechSoC21)
Theme: The Impact of Digital Economy and Emerging Technologies on Society
The United States International University-Africa and Google Africa have the pleasure to invite you to the above conference that will take place physically at USIU-Africa, Nairobi and virtually on November 3, 2021 from 10:00 am to 5:15 pm EAT. Google will deliver a workshop on Artificial Intelligence (AI) – Machine Learning for Policy Leaders.
Companies in the Tech space continue introducing innovative, life-changing products, services and features at an unprecedented pace resulting in significant contributions towards digital transformation in the workplace, education sector and society in general. Despite the current benefits and a promising future, several potential risks to society continue emerging, highlighting the need for regulatory practices governing the global digital economy. As they most often play catch up, regulators face the challenge of designing policies that maximize the social benefits of technology while appropriately mitigating societal risk and promoting the public interest.
The Technology and Society 2021 conference will bring together heads of Government and technology companies, policy makers, African and diaspora academics, students, industrialists, researchers, regional and national stakeholders in the technology space, foundations, development agencies and multinational corporations with vested interests to deliberate on the opportunities that technology presents for Africa’s development agenda, how to identify and maximize these opportunities and what is required to develop, nurture and sustain innovation.
Please use this link to register for the conference: https://forms.gle/T3Pg9dpq1MCAvuuE7
1. Technology as a Driver of Economic Growth
In economics, it is widely accepted that technology is the key driver of economic growth of countries, regions and cities. Technological progress allows for more efficient production of larger quantities and better goods and services. Indeed this is what economic prosperity depends on.
Topics in this area should focus on one or more of the following;
- The role of technology in economic growth
- Technological innovation and economic development
- Research, Intellectual Property, Data Protection, Privacy and economic growth
- The impact of digital technology usage on economic growth
- The impact of digital technology on Society
2. Artificial Intelligence as an Emerging Trend in IT
The rise of Artificial Intelligence as an emerging technology trend has resulted in significant contributions towards digital transformations in the workplace, education sector, and general lifestyles. Innovations and research in Artificial Intelligence have raised the bar on technology limits, bringing to light the need to rethink the boundaries on Regulatory practices. Opportunities that ignite discussions on infusing Regulatory Practices in AI innovations, addressing AI emerging Issues and enhancing AI education should be created.
Topics in this area should focus on:
- Emerging Artificial Intelligence Issues (Bias, Ethics, Accessibility, and Inclusion)
- Innovations in Ethical Artificial Intelligence (machine learning, Robotics, Natural Language Processing, Big data, Computer vision, Gaming)
- Artificial Intelligence Curriculum Requirements (Dissolving the Black box approach, low cost approaches, localizing content, bridging the AI gap)
- All papers should adhere to the authors guidelines provided here.
- Selected papers will be published in the Journal of Language, Technology & Entrepreneurship (JOLTE) in Africa.
- If you encounter any problems during the submission process or you do not receive any confirmation by email, please contact the Conference Secretariat: email@example.com
- At least one of the authors of accepted papers should registered for the conference for the paper to be considered for publication.
- The Conference program can be found here.
- The Conference submission page: click here.
- Friday, October 22, 2021 - Deadline to submit papers.
- Monday, October 25, 2021 - Notification of Acceptance.
- Saturday, October 30, 2021 - Submission of Final Papers.
- Wednesday, November 3, 2021 - Conference Event.
- Michael Murugi – Google Africa
- Dr. Mark Matunga – Africa Center For Advanced Technology
- Kimberly Lloyd - Africa Center For Advanced Technology
- Nina Auma - Africa Center For Advanced Technology
- Prof. Paul Okanda – USIU-Africa
- Prof. Valarie Adema – USIU-Africa
- Prof. Patrick Wamuyu – USIU-Africa
- Prof. Jimmy Macharia – USIU-Africa
- Dr. Leah Mutanu – USIU-Africa
- Dr. Collins Oduor – USIU-Africa
- Hellen Furaha – USIU-Africa
- Everlyne Anyal – USIU-Africa