Criminology and Criminal Justice Conference 2019
Theme: Youth radicalization and countering violent extremism in East Africa
Venue: United States International University-Africa, Nairobi, Kenya
Keynote speaker: Dr. Joris van Wijk, Associate Professor Criminology, and Director, Center for International Criminal Justice, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands
About the conference: The Criminology and Criminal Justice Conference (CCJC) is a creation of the Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice at the United States International University-Africa. The CCJC’s mission is to provide the forum for academics, practitioners and students a platform to share research, good practice and strategies for policy and prevention of crime. The CCJC is the only conference in the East African region that is held annually and brings together academics, practitioners and students across the East Africa region, Africa and the World.
Submission deadline: Individual paper abstracts, and author meets critics’ panels due - May 31, 2019.
Conference dates: July 18 and 19, 2019
- Youth gangs and radicalization
- Terrorism and international security
- Social media and crime
- Religion, indoctrination and radicalization
- Psycho-social factors of crime
- Drivers of violent extremism
- Recruitment and radicalization
- Terror behavior
- Ideology, rules and edicts
- Preventing violent extremism
- Role of universities in countering violent extremism
- Humanitarian action
- Structural context of violent extremism
- Radicalization in prison and probation
- Dialogue and conflict prevention
- Strengthening good governance, human rights and the rule of law
- Legal and policy formulation
- Multi-agency collaboration in tackling violent extremism
- Citizens’ role in security
- Author meets critic: The thematic theme allows individuals to create their own sessions and moderate the same. Normally it would be done when an individual(s) has published a book related to the main theme and invites other scholars to critic it.
Instruction for submissions: Submissions should be of high standard, unpublished and suitable for scientific or professional publications. They could be theoretical, or field research based papers as well as practical/experimental papers based on individual, institutional or community experience. All submitted abstracts and papers will be refereed to blind reviewers to uphold the high standards of the conference. All papers should follow the APA citation format.
Papers are expected to have a uniform structure/format, Times New Roman font, size 12, 1.5 line spacing, maximum of 20 pages including references, appendices, figures, etc.
Abstracts should not exceed 200 words and should be organized as (1) title, context and objectives, (2) methodology, contribution and not more than 5 keywords.
Electronic submissions of abstracts and papers should be emailed to email@example.com
Conference registration and accommodation: Conference participants should register through firstname.lastname@example.org. Please scan registration fee bank payment receipt and email. Conference registration will be open from March 1, 2019-June 30, 2019. The organizing committee has negotiated special rates at Sunstar Hotel Nairobi http://sunstarhotelnairobi.com/index.html. When booking accommodation make sure you state that you are the CCJC delegate. Transport will be provided from the hotel to the conference venue.
Conference fees and payments:
|Early bird registration (all delegates)||$100|
|Early bird student registration||$30|
|Late registration (on site) (all delegates)||$150|
|Late registration (on site) (students)||$50|
Registration fee will be sent to the below USIU-Africa account (indicate the purpose of payment) “USIU-Africa Criminology Conference 2019”
Commercial Bank of Africa Ltd-Upper Hill Branch: USD a/c: 6462210014