DEAN SCHOOL OF PHARMACY & HEALTH SCIENCES
To provide exemplary strategic leadership in the School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences that promotes excellence in undergraduate and graduate education and a high quality working environment for faculty and staff.
- Leading and coordinating the development and implementation of the School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences’ strategic plan towards the achievement of the goals of the University’s strategic plan in a manner that promotes excellence in instruction, scholarly and creative productivity and service at the University.
- Providing strategic and visionary leadership and promoting inclusive governance to foster excellence in teaching and learning, research and scholarship, and public service through robust engagement with faculty, staff, and students.
- Effectively representing the School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences in university-wide planning and budgetary processes and implementing university-wide policies and decisions at the school level.
- Promoting strong communication within the School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, in the university, and with external constituencies.
- Developing and managing the budget and fiscal affairs of the School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, overseeing utilization of facilities, leading and encouraging fundraising to meet the school’s needs and goals of the departments and programs, and faculty and students.
- Cultivating and maintaining external engagements beneficial for student experiential learning and placement opportunities and faculty teaching and research, as well as in the outreach and public service efforts of the school.
- Managing the establishment, review, and assessment of the School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences academic and co-curricular programs to ensure continuous improvement of student learning and success, faculty teaching and scholarship, and institutional effectiveness.
- Overseeing the appointment of faculty and staff, associate deans, chairs of departments, and heads of centers and institutes in the School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, undertaking performance reviews of school administrators in consultation with faculty and staff, and overseeing processes of employee evaluation, training, and retention.
- Evaluating overall Departmental/School productivity in instruction, research, and service responsibilities
- Providing recommendations to the University administration regarding sabbaticals and other leaves for faculty and staff;
- PhD in any of the core areas of Pharmacy.
- At least an Associate Professor of Pharmacy.
- Must be registered in Kenya by the Pharmacy & Poisons Board
Experience: Management experience of at least three years as a head of a department, institute, or center in an academic or research institution.
Personal Attributes & Competencies
- Analytical and quantitative skills
- Organizational skills
- Good inter-personal skills
- Good computer skills
- Management skills
- Administrative and leadership experience preferably in an accredited institution of higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and develop relationships as well as partnerships within the University.
- Demonstrated strategic planning experience.
- Documented experience with budgets and personnel management.
- Strategic decisions
- Tactical decisions
- Quality assurance
- Conflict resolution
Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, current salary and benefits, telephone and e-mail contacts to email@example.com by Wednesday, July 31, 2019.
United States International University - Africa
P.O. Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya