CHAIR OF DEPARTMENTS (Internal Vacancies)
CHAIRS OF DEPARTMENT (S)
United States International University-Africa (USIU-Africa) is a Higher Learning Institution based in Nairobi, Kenya. USIU-Africa is accredited by both the Kenya Government through the Commission for University Education (CUE), and by the American Government through the WASC Senior Colleges and Universities Commission (WSCUC).
Arising from the restructuring of Academic Affairs Division, the office of Deputy Vice Chancellor Academic and Students Affairs is seeking to recruit qualified candidates to fill in the positions of Chairs of Departments for the School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences.
CHAIR OF DEPARTMENTS
The following positions Departments have been established in the School of Pharmacy and Health Science:
School of Pharmacy & Health Sciences
(i) Department of Pharmaceutics & Pharmacy Practice
(ii) Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
(iii) Department of Pharmacology & Pharmacognosy
(iv) Department of Pre – Clinical Studies
Reporting to the Dean, the Chair of departments will be responsible for the delivery of academic programs in accordance with departmental, school and university’s strategic plans; coordinate faculty and staff performance evaluation and recruitment and selection for the department. This is a three (3) years term appointment with a possible renewal of a second term based on the satisfactory performance on the job.
Academic Policy and Leadership
• Working with faculty and students to establish and maintain a long-term vision for the department that is consistent with the School and university missions.
• Coordinating the development of long-term planning and for the department.
• Teach two course per academic year.
• Serve as a liaison between the department and other units of the institution in order to facilitate departmental operations and to promote university-wide policies and practices within the department.
• Communicating accurately University policy and reasons for policy to the department faculty.
• Initiating operational policies within the department for discussion, approval, and implementation.
• Insure departmental compliance with accrediting bodies’ rules and regulations.
• Encourage and facilitate faculty professional development through activities such as research collaboration, mentorship activities, attendance at professional meetings and workshops, and professional and community service.
• Supervise faculty adherence to university standards for excellence as well as to institutional procedures and policies, e.g., harmonization of course outlines, peer reviews, use of formative assessment, and reliance on innovative teaching techniques such as blackboard.
• Serve as the liaison between the department and the school, the division of academic affairs and the university as a whole.
• Participate in research and scholarly activities in the discipline of training.
• Participate and assist department faculty in university and community service activities as appropriate.
Curriculum Development, Assessment and Review
• Oversee the development of new programs and the revisions existing ones in the department.
• Develop methods for assessing the effectiveness of instructional programs.
• Coordinate the assessment and review of academic programs offered by the department, including the appointment of assessment and review teams.
• Coordinate the assessment of general education courses taught within the department.
• Manage the moderation of all departmental examinations at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
• Manage course schedules and workloads in a fair, flexible and productive manner to serve program and student needs.
• Manage course registrations and instructor assignments.
• Oversee the department's fiscal operations, including developing and regularly monitoring the department budget.
• Review and revise department information published in the university catalog and departmental website.
• Manage the maintenance of departmental print and electronic records, including websites.
• Maintain faculty course files and efficient system of records.
• Generate proposals for funds to support the academic programs.
• Prepare agenda for, convene, and chairing regular departmental meetings.
• Constitute and convene periodic meetings of a Departmental Advisory Board
• Participate in the recruitment and orientation of new faculty, demonstrating a commitment to the affirmative action goals of the University.
• Overseeing the signing of Performance Contracts by faculty and staff and the enforcement of performance targets.
• Conduct the annual evaluation of faculty and staff and make appropriate recommendations for improvement.
• Support and oversee the overall development of the department faculty and staff.
• Appraise faculty and staff and make recommendations for promotions.
• Approval of workload plans for both full-time and Adjunct faculty.
• Review faculty and staff grievances within the department.
• Participate in faculty mentorship and in student advising programs.
Management of Students’ Matters
• Facilitate recruitment and admission of students in the school.
• Oversee student advising and reviews of degree progress by faculty, including the allocation of faculty advisors to all students in the department.
• Evaluate student transfer credits.
• Manage students’ research, including the allocation of supervisors, the provision of periodic reviews and the resolution of supervisor-supervisee differences.
• Review student academic concerns and grievances, including grade appeals, academic dismissals and any other matters related to academic infractions.
Educational Qualifications and Professional Experience
• Doctoral degree in any core area or field offered in the department relevant to the School from an accredited university.
• Must be registered by the Kenya Pharmacy and Poisons Board add (except for Pre- Clinical Pharmacy Chair)
• Relevant leadership and Management experience as a head of a department.
• Documented performance in the areas of teaching, scholarship, and service.
• A record of leadership experience within the profession or the university.
• Knowledge of and experience in strategic planning and budgeting.
• Documented performance in the areas of teaching, scholarship, and community service.
Skills and Competencies
• Analytical and quantitative skills
• Organizational skills and good inter-personal skills
• Good computer skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and develop relationships as well as partnerships within the University.
• Knowledge of the programs within department in terms of requirements, policy, procedure, and operation
• Documented experience with budgets and personnel management.
• Familiarity with accreditation requirements especially those that apply to the Commission for University Education (CUE), WSCUC and the Pharmacy & Poisons Board.
If you have the requisite qualifications and experience and want to join the university’s leadership team, please apply. Interested applicants must provide a cover letter and a current CV, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts, names and addresses of three referees, the address below by July 19, 2019
United States International University - Africa
P.O Box 14634-00800, Nairobi, Kenya
USIU-Africa is an equal opportunity employer.